Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Thought That Was You


I watch your mouth moving,
Sound vibrations traveling I’m sure
but nothing my ears translate.
You’re reminiscing and I’m confused.
We’re not lost loves
Or even friends catching up.

My favorite restaurant of all time.
He’s late again
And she’s on her way.
You saw me from the bar.
Coming over to say hi is very different than reminiscing.

Yes. Yes, of course I remember Jack.
We picked him out together after all.
I remember the carpet and my ruined Manolo slingbacks
and how he loved cheetos.

Oh? You passed the bed and breakfast the other day.
The one where we lied and told them we’d just eloped.
Yes, I do remember how warm the room was.
I try but my smile doesn’t look as real as yours.

It stings a little
when you laugh about the
time we fought
and I locked you out
in only your boxers.

You lean over
so serious
and whisper
“I've missed you. We should talk again,”
as heels click clack closer.
And then, “You remember Kate, don’t you?”

I nod.
She pulls your sleeve
away and towards the bar
where you belong.

And I know
I’ll never eat here again.

................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment